Wednesday, July 13, 2005


So after the All-Star game last night I watched "Bad Education" by Pedro Almodovar. Now, I have only seen one other of his films which was "Talk to Her" which I absolutely adored for it's sweetness and brutal honesty. "B. Education" is definitely not on the same level.

It, first of all, is a much different film. It actually has a very distinct Noir feel. The convoluted plot lines that I don't have time to explain right now just lost me and when for the 3rd Act of the film that went straight Noir I just didn't buy it. And I'm pretty sure Almodovar has seen "Vertigo" quite a few times. The similarities were quite obvious. Which unfortunately makes me want to compare this movie to "Vertigo". That's not a battle many films are going to win.

I did like the film, I just didn't love it. The high point was Gael Garcia Bernal, who amazes me more with each film he does. The mystery he conveys with the duplicty of his roles keep the story interesting. Bernal is definitely becoming one of the more versatile actors working today, and I will go see anything with him in it. Grade: B.

Tonight I'm off to a new restaurant/bar for a friend's b-day. A friend from highschool that has lived in the area for the same time I have so we've become close. So hopefully I'll have time to write about Levende Lounge a little tomorrow. That is if I'm not hungover.


Currently listening too: Yr City's a Sucker by LCD Soundsystem

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paulie!

You should re-name your blog. Instead of "Life in the City" it would be way rad if you just simplified it.

appauled.

Think about it.

7/13/2005 9:27 PM  
Blogger Nades said...

ya, I'll think about it.....

no

7/14/2005 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home