Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A MILD LETDOWN

So I would have to say the big event of the weekend was definitely the Royksopp show that some friends and I ventured to on Friday night. First, let me start off by saying Friday was one of the worst workdays of my life. Not because I found myself in a stressful situation, not because I burnt my oatmeal in the kitchen in the microwave, but because I was hungover as shit. It didn't help that I didn't make it to work until 11:30. And it also didn't help that my chair was packing-taped to my desk. Those chicks in HR that have absolutely nothing to do, definitely get a kick out of themselves. Luckily my workday only lasted 5 hours. Then it was time to drink again.

My afternoon, early evening was characterized by a few Pacificos at Pier 23 with friends, while kicking back in the sun listening to a very tall-blonde female DJ. This is something I hadn't experienced before at Pier 23, and our whole group was definitely into the DJ-outside vibe. From there we pushed on to North Beach thanks to a free car ride from our friend JT. Lost and Found was our destination. Let me tell you, everytime I take a piss there nowadays, I am thankful. The bathroom(s) before the remodel reminded me of taking a waz in a 19th-century outhouse in the middle of August in Yuma, Arizona. After a couple of Sunshine Wheats brought to you by the fine folks that brought you Fat Tire and a couple of slices of pizza from Golden Boy(it is it's own blog entry) we were off to Bimbo's 365 Club.

A quick history on Royksopp. They're from Norway. They have funny names, that I can't pronounce. They make damn fine music. They remind me a bit like Groove Armada. This was the first time I had seen them, but I had heard very cool things. And the show was great and I had a lot of fun dancing and sipping on Patron that my friend DK thought would increase the pleasure of the experince. He might have been right. It took a few songs for the crowd to really get into the show, which I think is a very important aspect to any great show. However, there were some issues that I had. First, they played their hit song "Eple" twice. This is concert suicide. They played it like 4th or 5th and then ENDED with it. Just wait on it you guys, we'll wait around for it. Please don't ever play it twice again. If you have a whole new album that came earlier in the week, I don't know play another song off that or cover Dub-Tribe for God's sake, you have the same drum set. (Quick Aside: The only time where I've experienced something worse was like 9 years ago when I went to the Wallflowers show at the Fillmore, and they were filming the video for "The Difference". They played it 5 fucking times! At least you can see me in the video if you pause it). But the big thing was they played for an hour and 20 minutes. Now I've seen great shows that have been that length or shorter, I just wanted them to play longer and if you discount the 2nd "Eple" then it was less than 75 minutes. Royksopp added insult to injury, when I found out a few days later that they had left Bimbo's that night and went onto play a set at Mezzanine. If I had known, I think I would have gone to Mezzanine and closed the place down as I'm sure those crazy Noreweigians did.

The rest of the night took place at R Bar. My favorite watering hole. However, I was physically exhausted, thanks to Thursday night at R Bar and I headed home.

Tonight I'm off to Charlie and the Chocalate Factory with a big group of friends.

Currently Listening To: Wonderful Tonight by Fatboy Slim

1 Comments:

Blogger jacquie said...

You and your Norwegians....

7/19/2005 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home