Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Future of Music Coming Soon....

So I got an e-mail today from a former co-worker/friend/softball teammate. I thought this is odd because we don't really e-mail each other. Let's just say I was very happy to get this e-mail.

He left the company I work for, I wanna say about a year ago. He took over the Director of Marketing position at a new website called Pandora. So the e-mail he sent me today was a private invitation to the website before it opens to the public. Man, it's pretty fuckin' cool.

In a nutshell, the goal of Pandora is to open your ears up to music that you may not know or have heard before but the people at Pandora are banking you will like. This is how it works (no I'm not giving Pandora a free advertisement). I really think this is a cool idea and I've been listening to it for the last 3 hours, and I'm loving it. So anyways, what you do is you enter a song or an artist you like and they then will create a live streaming radio station with songs that are comparable to what you entered. If they play a song you don't like, you just click on something telling them that that song sounds like nails on a chalkboard and they will never play that song again and also tweak the station so that doesn't happen again. No this is not fool proof, but it's fun and it's a great way to learn about new music which I'm always trying to do.

The way this site is going to make money is that with every song you hear, you'll be able to link to itunes to buy the song, or amazon to buy the CD. I'm not sure when it opens to the public but I'll find out. When it does, the service will cost $36/year. Which isn't bad. When you do sign up you'll be able to personalize 100 "radio stations" at any one time.

I have found some issues where they haven't been able to find some songs I've entered. So I'll find out what's up with that from my buddy. Maybe they just don't have access quite yet. We'll see.

Some of the radio stations I've created so far today have been based on these songs:
Blue Orchid by the White Stripes
Galvanize by the Chemical Bros. (which I'm listening to right now)
Eple by Royksopp
Callin' Out by Lyrics Born
Mr. Brightside by the Killers
Evil by Interpol
One More Time by Daft Punk
Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand
Hollaback Girl by Gwen

Well I'm off to go see the Documentary Murderball tonight. Looking forward to a quality film. I have heard great things.

Currently listening to: (I Just) Died in Your Arms by Resource

5 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Trottier said...

Indeed, this does sound like great stuff.

7/26/2005 6:14 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

I like your taste in music

7/26/2005 6:45 PM  
Blogger jacquie said...

you SHOULD be listening to "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" by Cutting Crew.

7/26/2005 8:48 PM  
Blogger Nades said...

I can't listen to both?

7/27/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

I have heard about this company too. I have been told that the will also creat personalized cds based off one or two song choices.

7/28/2005 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home