Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Waste of A City

So last night after watching one of the more clutch homers in Baseball Playoff recent history, brought to you buy Albert Pujols. I hightailed it downtown to the Metreon theatre. It only took me 13 minutes to get down there. Of course, the bus driver was a certifiably insane driver and more than one chinatown denizen ended up on the floor of the bus. Luckily, I had secured a seat.

My goal was to see "Just Like Heaven". Now before you laugh at me let me just point out what many of you may know already, I try to see as many different kind of movies as possible, no matter what genre they hail from or perceived quality they may have. And this film had two things going for it. 1) Mark Ruffalo 2) It was filmed in San Francisco.

Well it is not good. It wasted San Francisco. It didn't take full advantage of this beautiful city (to see how this should be done correctly watch Vertigo). Even going so far as to use fake blue screen for some of the skyline shots and shots on the Golden Gate Bridge. Ruffalo was okay but didn't have a lot to work with and played his role a little too sad-sacky for my liking. Reese is Reese, I haven't really been impressed with her since "Freeway". Jon "Napoleon Dynamite" Heder in his first role after his career-making performance was inserted for some comedy and pretty much fell flat. The movie definitely had some momements and had a pretty good soundtrack including an interesting cover of "Brass in Pocket" by Kelis. The movie was disappointing mostly because there was talent connected with this film, it just didn't include the screenwriter. Grade: C.

Tonight I'm passing up on a happy hour for a co-worker who is leaving, for a book signing by none other than the Sports Guy himself, Bill Simmons of ESPN.COM's Page 2. Kind of excited about it. Of course, knowing some of the people involved in this Happy Hour I very well could be meeting up with them afterwards.

Currently Listening To: The Lullaby by The Cure

3 Comments:

Blogger jacquie said...

As your life coach, I have a couple of things to say. First of all, you spelled "moments" wrong. As your life coach, it's my job to make the connection between correct spelling and successful blogging. On the other hand, it is also my job to recognize the fact that you were listening to the best band ever while writing your blog entry. Job well done Paul!

10/18/2005 11:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

i feel like i heard that jon heder wasn't going to do any other movies unless they were headed up by mormons... did i make that up? was this a mormon endorsed flick?

10/20/2005 4:24 PM  
Blogger Nades said...

You made it up. He's got 5 movies coming down the pipelilne and as far as I can tell they aren't mormon.

10/20/2005 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home