Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Bergman. Overrated?

So to answer the question that you all have on the tip of your toungue... I did find drinking buddies on Thurs. Night. I met up with BN at Blue Light for a couple $2 Pacificos (which I like better than Corona). The place was pretty dead and then we headed to Mauna Loa (everyone's favorite bar that smells like shit), where we met up with some of her friends that I didn't know and still don't and AU. We played some games of Pop-a-Shot, where I played out of my mind. I have never been good at this game. Well I was out of control. Dropping 60s left and right. I know it will never happen again. So I had a lot of fun cherishing that moment, sipping on my beer with a shit-eating (fitting, seeing what bar we were in) grin. From there AU bailed and BN and I headed to R Bar. Where W the bartender was back from his trip to Alabama, btwn him gushing about the new AC in the bar and forcing Vodka down our throats, we managed to get liquored. Friday was a little rough, but nothing I can't handle.

The rest of the weekend was filled with b-day celebrations. Friday, a bunch of us bbq'd at MB's new apt. Which I love, and I assume he is paying an arm and a leg for. From there about 8 of us headed to Crow-Bar in North Beach for KC's b-day. Man, I had no idea how many people despise this bar. Like 80% of my friends I talked to either before we headed there or while we were there, asked out loud why we were there. I'm sorry, I love that bar. Great Juke Box (loads of punk and some lost favorites), pool tables that are never very crowded. Decently friendly bartenders (don't let the tats scare you) and it's spacious and usually not too crowded. I like it. And I'll be back.

The next day I watched a lot of football and then off to GP and CE's house for some "get the night started off correctly" drinks for CE's b-day extravaganza. While there I read an article in Rolling Stone (Paul McCartney issue) about a huge pot bust in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. My highschool was mentioned in the article. Good Times. After drinks, about 14 of us rolled to La Barca for some Margaritas and Mexican food although LL had stuffed us with Apps back at the house. Now I had never been to La Barca for dinner before which many people found suprising. And I was dissappointed I hadn't been there before. I loved it. Great service and the chicken enchiladas were scrumptious. After dinner we were off to U-street a high-end restaurant/lounge. The lounge area was cozy with a pretty cool DJ, but the bar area needed to be larger. Sunday was spent lounging and reading. With an added plus of a great WS game 2.

So in other news I just finished my first Ingmar Bergman film. I use the verb "finished" instead of "watched" since it took me 3 different sittings to watch it. I hardly ever fall asleep while watching movies, but this one did the trick on multiple occasions.

Now Bergman is considered to be one of the great film directors of all time, many of his movies are considered classics and he has come up at least once in every film class I have ever taken. So, obviously I need to watch some of his films. I picked "Scenes from a Marriage". Not good. at all. I gave it a C-. But the more I think about it I want to give it a D+. And I know people who think this is one of his best. What the F! am I missing? Well I'm not ready to give up on the Swede quite yet. I definitely need a larger sample size to decide if he is really overrated as I presume to be. Stay tuned. I'm going to wait a month to get the taste out of my mouth and then try to watch one of his other revered films, either Fanny and Alexander, Wild Strawberries or Seventh Seal. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone even reading this?

Things I'm looking forward to: Halloween, the party Sat. night, the company party tomorrow night, the White Sox winning their first world series in 88 years.

Currently Listening To: Blaxxtraxx 3 by Mr. Spring

2 Comments:

Blogger Spin_Doc1 said...

People are reading it.

10/27/2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger jacquie said...

So how was that company party exactly?

10/31/2005 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home